As a skin care professional, I began hearing the buzz about Maskne in the first few months after COVID-19 began last year. It was clear that these breakouts -- right where people wore their masks -- were a direct result of the pandemic. In this blog, I’ll dive deep into the new phenomenon of Maskne and discuss some of my favorite products that have helped me find relief.
What is Maskne?
Maskne is a type of acne called acne mechanica. Anyone can get this type of acne, but it’s most common in athletes, teenagers, and soldiers. Before the pandemic, it was primarily relevant to anyone who wore helmets, chin straps, headbands, face masks, etc. Nowadays, just about everyone you know wears masks and face coverings daily!
Maskne is triggered by excess heat, pressure, friction, or rubbing of the skin. Sweat and oil build up in areas under occlusion, and pores become clogged and inflamed. While it can occur anywhere on the face or body, it has been showing up on people’s faces during the pandemic specifically because of mask-wearing. (I know, I know…exactly what everyone needs right now.)
How Can I Prevent Maskne?
The nice thing about acne mechanica is that it has clear triggers, and as long as you prevent those as much as possible, you can help your skin clear up. Here’s what you should keep in mind.
- Put your mask only on clean skin
Wash your face before putting on your face mask. This will ensure that you’re not contributing additional dirt or oils to your face, which will prevent your pores from getting clogged and inflamed.
- Avoid wearing makeup
Wearing makeup under your mask is the wrong move for a couple of reasons. Any potentially irritating or pore-clogging ingredient should be avoided when you’re wearing a face covering. Moisturizer is okay, but foundation? No thanks. Take comfort in the fact that no one will see the majority of your face anyway, and your skin will thank you by clearing up! Furthermore, makeup can damage masks and decrease their effectiveness. Skip the makeup in order to make your mask last longer.
- Try to remove the mask as often as possible
While it may not be possible depending on the circumstances, give your skin a break when you have the chance. Even a 30-second break can allow for proper air circulation.
- Clean your skin again when you get home
I know you rip that mask off as soon as you get home. Make it a habit to go wash your hands and face as well. Any dirt and oil that’s built up on your skin will be washed away instead of clogging your pores. Goodbye Maskne!
What Products Can Help Maskne?
At Skin Mama, our goal is to help you get clear and healthy skin. As someone who has suffered from cystic acne in the past, I know what it’s like being uncomfortable in your own skin. That’s why I recommend Eminence products to all of my clients. Here are the products I recommend for Maskne.
- Clear Skin Starter Set: This is a great place to start for a good home routine for healthy skin, and a great introduction to some clear skin products. A 1-month supply of some of our very favorite products! If you find something you truly love, you can always buy a full-sized version after testing it out.
- Clear Skin Probiotic Cleanser: This is a clarifying cream-gel cleanser that treats oily and problem skin with cucumber and tea tree oil.
- Clear Skin Probiotic Moisturizer: Ultra-light daily moisturizer that detoxifies and clears the appearance of problem skin, irritation, and clogged pores.
- Clear Skin Probiotic Masque: A masque that helps you attain the appearance of a radiant and clear complexion.
- Clear Skin Willow Bark Booster-Serum: A concentrated serum and product enhancer infused with willow bark and tea tree oil, which will help heal irritation and reduce the appearance of problem skin.
- Facial Recovery Oil: Toning and hydrating oil created with precious herbs and nourishing oils to soothe and renew sensitive and aging skin. This has Tea Tree Oil which is a natural aniceptic which helps with acne.
- Acne Advanced Clarifying Masque: A two-in-one mask and spot treatment that utilizes potent anti-acne ingredients to treat active acne and prevent future breakouts.
- Rice Milk 3 in 1 Cleanser: A gentle cleanser and toner that can be used multiple times a day, if needed. I know you have all heard me talk about this product so much because of how versatile it is, and now here is another way it is best used! Remember those ‘DIY makeup wipes’ this is the perfect thing to use when you get home and take your mask off.
- Clear Skin Targeted Treatment: Think of this as your Tide-To-Go pen, but for your face! This product is great for creating a barrier of protection before you put your mask on and protect your clean skin. This is also a great spot treatment for any breakouts that do come up.
These are some of my top products that you can use both before and after you wear your mask to prevent dirt and oils from building up.
Contact Me for Help
My name is Megz, and I’m the owner of Skin Mama. As your virtual esthetician, I’m here to help you find skin solutions. Reach out to me if you need help selecting the perfect products for your skin!